Work Permit

There are two types of work permits – closed (1 employer) or open (any employer). The kind and type of application largely depend on the work performed, the program, and the individual situation.


Below are some of the occupations and work permit situations:

   – an employee in film or television production

   – researcher

   –  worker in the repair or maintenance of industrial or commercial equipment

   – religious worker

   – charity worker

   – a camp counselor

   – professional athlete or trainer

   – dancers, actors, orchestral musicians or opera singers, or persons performing a related work

   – entrepreneurs

   – farm worker (farm worker)

   – an employee of a foreign diplomatic mission, consular post, international organization, or foreign government;

   – an employee of the owner or operator of an international bridge or tunnel,

   – an employee whose employer is applying for employment through Global Talent Stream

   – an employee whose employer is applying for employment under the Atlantic Immigration Pilot program


If none of the above applies to you, the following criteria determining the type of work permit are:

   – candidate aged 18-35 and willing to travel and work within International Experience Canada

   – holder of the certificate of commitment for the Start-up Visa Program

   – you already live or work in Canada and want to stay permanently

   – the spouse or family member of someone working or temporarily studying in Canada

   – Canadian post-secondary school fresh graduate

   – an employee based on an international agreement

   – having a temporary residence permit valid for at least six months

   – has applied for refugee protection in Canada

   – participation in international exchange

   – employee based on a federal-provincial / territorial contract

   – participant of the World Youth Program

   – holder of a study permit who can no longer support himself financially

   – an employee who is abused or at risk of working in Canada

   – French-speaking or skilled bilingual worker intending to work outside Quebec

   – an employee transferred within the company;


Another way to obtain a work permit is a situation when a potential employer has consent to employ a foreign employee (positive or neutral LMIA- Labor Market Impact Assessment) issued by the Canadian Employment Office. In short, the employer must prove that he could not find a qualified Canadian citizen or resident for the required position. LMIA applications are very technical and require a lot of commitment from employers.


There are many options for obtaining a work permit, but it is essential to match the type of application to the individual situation of the potential candidate.


If you are not sure how to start, don’t hesitate to contact us!

Why eKanada?

We are a young Canadian Polish community who emigrated quite recently and knew like no one else how complicated the process is and how much it all depends on the details.

Make An Appointment Today.

The cost of consultation will be used as a credit towards services if you will decide to hire us.